What "Unconditional" Love Means

          There are two ways in which the term unconditional love is used. One refers to Love that did not arise from any condition, like a person or a relationship, because It is What is. It is God’s Love and It rises spontaneously in your experience. You cannot make It happen. This definition is what many spiritual teachers mean when they use the term unconditional love.

         The other refers to a form of personal love that many think of as ideal, even spiritual. It arises from psychological wholeness. It is “I will love you, no matter the conditions.” Therefore:

 

Unconditional love means “I will love you, even if we are no longer together.” It does not mean, “I will stay with you under any conditions.”

Unconditional love means, “I will love you, even if you change.” It does not mean, “I will stay with you, even if you change.”

Unconditional love means, I will love you, even if I change.” It does not mean, “I will stay with you, even if I change.”

Unconditional love means, “I will love you, no matter how you behave.” It does not mean, “I will remain around you, no matter how you behave.”

 

Unconditional love is possible when you know you will be okay under any conditions, therefore your love for others is not dependent on their presence. It is love without attachment. This does not mean you won’t hurt if the other is gone. It means you know if you or the other must go, you will grieve and go on and still be whole and happy. 

>>>> 

If you have a question the answer to which you feel may be helpful to others, send it to Liz@acimmentor.com and indicate that you want it answered in this newsletter/blog.

Comments

will said…
OUR DAILY BREAD
Helen
_____________________________________________
Let me this day arise in quietness
With only thoughts of sinlessness, through which
To look upon the world. Let me today
Behold the world as You would have it be,
Because I am as You created me.
This I accept today. And as the day
Draws to a close, all unforgiving thoughts
Have disappeared, and night comes quietly
To bless a day in quietness begun,
And ending in forgiveness of God’s Son.
Anonymous said…
When Helen asks Jesus to take away her fear he responds to her indicating that he can not do explaining that she can ask him for help with the underlying conditions that give rise to her experience of fear.
Given this means for understanding unconditional love we're helped to see our duality based perceptual errors, or obstacles to the awareness of love's presence, that often override our awareness of non dual unconditional love free of conditioned interpretation.

Popular posts from this blog

Ask: What is meant by "extend Love"?

If the World Isn't Real, Why Ask For Guidance?

More on Emotional Satisfaction or Freedom