The Illusion of Autonomy

           Last week, I wrote that after my shift in consciousness I came to see that, for me, A Course in Miracles’ emphasis on choice, while also saying everything is predetermined, lead me to discover not that free will is so, but that I believed it was so. This took me to the deepest levels of my belief in guilt.

By the same token, I have come to see that all relationships are holy relationships and only ego says otherwise. In other words, I never actually made special relationships, but in ego-consciousness it was my belief that I had. So, the source of guilt in my relationships was not their forms, but my belief I had twisted Love into something It was not.

In ego-consciousness, on the spiritual path of the Course, I came to understand that my identification with a person was not my natural state. But I mistakenly felt this meant I was not in my natural state of Spirit, when really I was always in my natural state of Spirit. Ego-consciousness was simply the idea that I was not. In other words, the perception of myself as a person in a world that is not God’s Creation did not in any way mean I was not in my natural state of God’s Creation.

The process I have been in since the shift in consciousness has made me see that there were in fact deeper layers of guilt in this mind than I knew. Ego-consciousness was a sense of autonomy that pervaded even my spirituality. I thought the Course was telling me what I had done—made a pseudo-reality apart from Reality (God)—rather than that I believed I had done this. In fact, I did nothing, as there is no “me” apart from God to do anything. What seems to be a pseudo-reality is only an expression of the idea of the-opposite-of-God arising and simultaneously being undone. And a part of that expression was this mind’s experience of autonomy and its eventual undoing, which continues.

 >>>>> 

If you have a question the answer to which you feel may be helpful to others, send it to Liz@acimmentor.com and I will answer it in this newsletter/blog.

 

Comments

Thanks Liz
will said…
My understanding right now is there was not a "simultaneously being undone." There was the "potential" (Holy Spirit) given at the beginning which the Course calls "The Atonement Principle." Then there is "The Atonement" an event deemed necessary as a celestial speed up starting at Jesus resurrection.

There are two levels at play here. Time and not time. To understand and learn the Course students need to use time. That is its only purpose. Trying to incorporate what we are doing now as already having been done is not helpful to the student. There are two levels at play here.

That's just my opinion today.
will said…
To clarify: There was a "simultaneous being undone" in 'not time.' Eternity was not effected in this non linear time level. But we don't live in the non linear where there is no yesterday or tomorrow. We live in a different level. Trying to combine eternity with time and learn the Course will have you throwing the Text across the room.

Just my opinion today.
will said…
Liz, After reading the blog about ten times what you are saying finally got past my resistance.
Will

Popular posts from this blog

Ask: What is meant by "extend Love"?

If the World Isn't Real, Why Ask For Guidance?

More on Emotional Satisfaction or Freedom