The Truth Really Does Set You Free

The knowledge that illuminates not only sets you free, but also shows you clearly that you are free. (T-2.I.4)

Somewhere in the beginning of my spiritual searching, in a book about Buddhism or Hinduism, I read that the world is an illusion that is the source of all pain and that the only way to peace was to let go of all attachment to this illusion. I realized the Truth of this idea and it set me free. I felt the uplifting peace and joy that always attends true freedom.

This freedom and peace and joy became the experience that helped me recognize the Truth when I embarked on my study of A Course in Miracles and other spiritual teachings. I knew a concept pointed to Truth when I felt this freedom. I knew I finally grasped an idea when I felt this freedom.

Should I wait in chains which have been severed for release, when God is offering me freedom now? (W-279.1)

This is not to say that I personally liked an idea that set me free. In fact, I was always personally threatened by it. I resisted it and ran from it. But I could never forget the feeling of freedom – which, after all, was what I was seeking -- and it was this freedom that pulled me back. The contrast between a part of me that was free and joyous and this other part of me that was dark and afraid also helped me sort out what part of me was the Holy Spirit (Truth) and what part of me I believed was ego (illusion). I learned to let go of what did not set me free.

The Holy Spirit leads you steadily along the path of freedom, teaching you how to disregard or look beyond everything that would hold you back. (T-8.II.4)

>>>>
View the archive for this blog by topic at
www.acimmentor.com.Now available at www.acimmentor.com: Understanding A Course in Miracles: A Quick Reference for Students.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ask: What is meant by "extend Love"?

If the World Isn't Real, Why Ask For Guidance?

More on Emotional Satisfaction or Freedom