Being In the World But Not of the World

There is a way of living in the world that is not here, although it seems to be. You do not change appearance, though you smile more frequently. Your forehead is serene; your eyes are quiet. And the ones who walk the world as you do recognize their own. Yet those who have not yet perceived the way will recognize you also, and believe that you are like them, as you were before. (W-155.1)

When I talk to students who have not yet experienced the holy instant about detachment from the world and living within themselves in the Presence they focus only on what they perceive they would lose. Will I still eat? Will I still work and pay my bills? How will I raise my kids? Am I going to have to go live in a cave? Can I go to the movies?

If you have experienced the holy instant than you know how you can be present to God and still appear to be in the world. Outwardly, your life looks no different. You go through the motions while within you are in peace and joy. You are unaffected by what seems to be happening “out there”. But if you have not yet experienced it, it just seems impossible to detach from a demanding world. And it seems like detaching will lead to enormous loss.

To motivate you to make the shift, think of what you will be gaining: A quiet mind; peace; joy; freedom; a deep sense of security and confidence; fulfillment and wholeness. How do you make this shift? Read lesson 155, ”I will let go and let Him lead the way” in the Workbook to remind yourself from time to time.


www.acimmentor.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ask: What is meant by "extend Love"?

If the World Isn't Real, Why Ask For Guidance?

More on Emotional Satisfaction or Freedom