Keeping Your Mind Open

To judge means to decide for yourself what something means. To not judge, then, is to keep an open mind, to not decide what any situation means.

For example, let’s say you are on your way to work and your car breaks down. Most of us decide in such a situation that it is a “bad” thing. You are going to be late for work; you are probably going to be behind in your work and may have to work late; you are going to have to go through the hassle (and expense, if you don’t have a roadside assistance program) of being towed and finding a way to get to work; and of course you are going to have to pay for repairs.

But what if you left your mind open and didn’t decide for yourself what these things meant?

What could you not accept, if you but knew that everything that happens, all events, past, present and to come, are gently planned by One Whose only purpose is your good? (W-135.18)

Some students are able to accept right off that everything that happens to them is “good”. For me, if I introduce the word “good” into a scenario like the one above my ego goes off: “HOW IN THE WORLD CAN YOU POSSIBLY SEE THIS AS “GOOD”? YOU’RE GOING TO BE LATE, YOU’RE GOING TO HAVE TO WORK LATE, THE REPAIRS ARE PROBABLY GOING TO COST A FORTUNE.” So instead I choose to have an open mind and not decide at all what it means. I just tell myself, “I’m not going to decide what this means. I’m going to keep my mind open and let this situation unfold.” Then I am able to accept that there must be a reason for this, perhaps a reason I will never see because I can’t see the whole picture. But now that I’ve opened my mind I can trust that it is in the Holy Spirit’s Hands. Now I feel part of that bigger picture.

Try practicing keeping an open mind when something happens that you judge as bad – or good. The relief that comes with giving up judgment is tremendous!

It is not difficult to relinquish judgment. But it is difficult indeed to try to keep it. The teacher of God lays it down happily the instant he recognizes its cost. All of the ugliness he sees about him is its outcome. All of the pain he looks upon is its result. All of the loneliness and sense of loss; of passing time and growing hopelessness; of sickening despair and fear of death; all these have come of it. And now he knows that these things need not be. Not one is true. For he has given up their cause, and they, which never were but the effects of his mistaken choice, have fallen from him. Teacher of God, this step will bring you peace. Can it be difficult to want but this? (M-10.6)

Receive this bi-weekly blog directly in your email by contacting
Liz@acimmentor.com.
Now available at
www.acimmentor.com: Understanding A Course in Miracles: A Quick Reference for Students.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ask: What is meant by "extend Love"?

If the World Isn't Real, Why Ask For Guidance?

More on Emotional Satisfaction or Freedom