Revelations

God does not need revelation returned to Him, which would clearly be impossible, but He does want it brought to others. This cannot be done with the actual revelation; its content cannot be expressed, because it is intensely personal to the mind that receives it. It can, however, be returned by that mind to other minds, through the attitudes the knowledge from the revelation brings. (T-4.VII.7)

Students ask me how I can be sure about what I teach, how I can speak with such confidence. It is because I have experienced the Oneness of God through revelations. What A Course in Miracles teaches is not theory for me; it is fact. Grasping theology is not transformative but the experience of Truth is.

A revelation of God cannot be adequately described. It is simply unlike anything in this world, but far more familiar. The deepest peace and greatest joy experienced in this world, even spiritually, do not compare. Not just because they are lesser than the experience of God; but because they are so different. Even the most enlightened spiritual perception in this world is incomplete. In God, there is a Completion, a Wholeness beyond any description.

To perceive the truth is not the same as to know it. (T-3.III.5)

I have had a handful of direct revelations of God that I remember; my sense is I’ve had more than I clearly remember. Each revelation teaches me something. The first one happened in my first few months as a student of A Course in Miracles, just at the end of a study group meeting I was attending each week. The only way I can describe it is I left the world to rest in God’s Arms. I think the lesson was simply that God is really here. The last one showed me how even attaining the highest state of enlightenment in this world would not approach God – it would only point in the direction of God.

Revelations used to leave me completely shaken. I would intellectually deny that anything significant had happened, but afterward I would seek refuge in ego for weeks by allowing myself to be completely distracted by the world. It was clear I had experienced something significant otherwise I would not have had to flee from it. In time I was able to think about the experience, but not in the way I’m used to thinking about things. The experience is pure and I can remember it, but I cannot “grasp” it with words or concepts or through analyzing it. A revelation of God simply is.

The last revelation I had came a few weeks ago. The experience was different in that I felt it coming on. When I sat down to meditate I was not surprised by the revelation and afterward I was able to accept it without fleeing. This time I still feel the effects of the revelation with me because I did not run from it. But it does take a while to absorb the experience because it is so profound and literally earth-shattering.

So when I tell you with confidence that only God is Real, that you are Part of God and that nothing in this world can change this, it is because I know this to be the Truth. And you can know this, too, by communing with God daily and being willing to have experiences that reveal the Truth to you.

>>>>
Receive this bi-weekly blog directly in your email by contacting
Liz@acimmentor.com.
Now available at
www.acimmentor.com: Understanding A Course in Miracles: A Quick Reference for Students.

Comments

Anonymous said…
It stands to reason that the likelihood of experiencing revelations like yours increases if one practices what the course recommends, forgiveness, communing with God, etc.
There are probably alot of variables involved but it my question is ... What might cause someone to experience revelation very early in their studies, before they have really learned much? And if a long time student never seems to have any significant or unmistakable experience, is he/she doing something wrong?

Peace
ACIM Mentor said…
A revelation comes to one when one is ready to experience it - whenever that would be. For myself, this was very much unconscious, because I didn't even know it was possible the first time! They've always come at their own time, when I guess I must be ready for them on some level.

A revelation only gives you a glimpse of the ultimate goal. If one stays there, then there's nothing more to learn! They are not necessary, because miracles, which you experience right here in your perception of a world, and which you can consciously open yourself to, also show you that God is Real. You need miracles. That's why it's A Course in Miracles, not revelations!
Anonymous said…
Liz
To me a revelation would be an unmistakable divine experience that would give one 'proof' that what we are studying is true and really help to see things correctly. In thinking about this - how does this compare to a holy instant? Clearly I've had neither.

Can you give us some examples of miracles and how they affect our consciousness and show that god is real? I see miracles as changes in perception brought about by forgiveness the effects of which we may or may not be aware. I've heard it compared to peeling an onion and that tends to leave one questioning whether anything is happening.

Thanks
ACIM Mentor said…
Ultimately, a Holy Instant is a Revelation, but in practice, it is a moment where you turn inward to Truth, and you experience a sense of connection to God. This most often shows up as you taking a deep breath and relaxing deeper, and letting go of the world for an instant. Practicing a Holy Instant invites the Truth into your awareness, and It will come into your awareness in the form of a miracle or a Revelation.
A miracle is a shift in your perception toward Truth. It transforms your experience into peace, even if only for a moment. It always changes you; it may or may not show up "out there". The transformation of your experience to peace from within you rather than from an external source demonstrates to you that God is Real and within you.
hannah said…
i thank you for your confidence xx

Popular posts from this blog

Ask: What is meant by "extend Love"?

If the World Isn't Real, Why Ask For Guidance?

More on Emotional Satisfaction or Freedom