Letting Go of "Why"

Everyone is born into this world that is not of God and therefore is not real. Because of this A Course in Miracles calls this a dream or an illusion. There are really two layers to this dream: The collective dream we all dream together that makes up the whole world and what happens in it; and your own individual dream within this dream. The collective dream is made up of all of our individual dreams. There are areas where we have agreed to agree – like the earth is round, the sky is blue, etc. But the collective dream is also full of conflict because each of us is having our own dream and pulling against everyone else’s dream. Even where we agree we often have subtle differences – the sky is blue, yes, but what shade of blue is it to you?

All this is the separation. None of it matters. It does not matter what we have made collectively or individually. It is not of God. Sometimes students get bogged down in why. Why did I make this painful situation in my life? Why did we collectively make this earthquake? Why is always the same: To be not-God. The form does not matter. What is not-God is all not-God. Only the ego asks why as a means of making the separation real to you, as a means of making you feel guilty and as a means of paralyzing you so you won’t take action to undo your mistake.

The way to respond to a painful situation is to choose again. Choose to change the situation or choose to change your mind about the situation. The world was made for separation, but it is really neutral and you can use it for remembering you are Part of God. The way to do this is to ask the Holy Spirit in you for another way to see the situation. Sometimes this leads to you changing your mind about the situation; sometimes you will make changes in your life. But by calling on the Holy Spirit – the part of you that is Part of God – you are undoing the separation, no matter its results.

As each of us undoes our individual dream of separation we undo the collective dream by withdrawing our investment in dreaming at all. This is all you are called upon to do.

>>>>
Receive this bi-weekly blog directly in your email by contacting
Liz@acimmentor.com.
Now available at
www.acimmentor.com: Understanding A Course in Miracles: A Quick Reference for Students.

Comments

Finnster said…
Finnegan Here,
I am really surprised no one has left comments to this. These lessons are delicious refreshers for me, and drive home the messages I could certainly do better to remember for peace of mind. I really love the clarity of the last thought, "the withdrawal of investment in dreaming".

It really hits the spot for me.
I am doing work with my creative poetry that deals with this very theme. It has been a most enlightening process, true to course.

If I think about that last idea, about giving up dreams, it gives me a feeling of unspeakable joy.

With Eternal Love and Light,

F
Aleta said…
I realize this is an older post, but I just want to comment that Liz, your clarification of the Course is really wonderful and definitely Holy Spirit-guided. My husband and I picked up the Course in 2007 and haven't put it down yet. Your articles really help us on our path. This one in particular speaks to me because I'm always asking "why" things happen. Thanks for the inspiration!
Anonymous said…
Hi I am a newy to this and sometimes read the CIM and just go UUURGH!!!!! To me the biblical references throw me and I just think, can't this all be said in a simpler way? And guess what, I was answered in the form of Liz!!! Thank-you Liz for your clear and concise messages - they are like dousing my hot, sweaty, exasperated face in a clear refreshing mountain stream. xox H
ACIM Mentor said…
I have also translated the Course into plain, everyday language to make it easier for students to get right to the message. You can find the Plain Language A Course in Miracles at www.amazon.com under The Message of A Course in Miracles (Text) and Practicing A Course in Miracles/The Way of A Course in Miracles (Workbook/MFT).
I need not question why this or that has happened, I only need to ask my right mind which is the Holy Spirit "How can I see this differently / Help me to see this differently. My ultimate goal is peace and to experience the Happy Dream and the only way I can experience the Happy Dream is to truly realize that God will never leave me or forsake me. Even when I feel alone, God is always there.

Popular posts from this blog

Ask: What is meant by "extend Love"?

If the World Isn't Real, Why Ask For Guidance?

Ask: When did you break through your concept of God?