Is Your Life Planned?

What could you not accept, if you but knew that everything that happens, all events, past, present and to come, are gently planned by One Whose only purpose is your good? (W-135.13)

There is a statement I make when I talk about my relationship to God that when I picked up A Course in Miracles and began reading it that I knew it was the whole reason I came into the world. That and the quote above are examples of figurative language that sometimes confuse students. If God didn’t make the world and individuality isn’t real, how could I feel I had a reason to be here? How could our lives be planned out ahead of time?

The idea of a Part of God being not-God was over the instant it was thought. We look at the world as a story unfolding in time, but what is really happening is that instant playing over and over and over again. Each instant you have the choice between separation and Oneness. This is what the Holy Spirit knows. What is planned by the Holy Spirit is to use every instant to teach you that separation has not occurred, that you are still in God. Everything that happens, all events, past, present and to come are opportunities for you to connect with the Holy Spirit, if you so choose. The quote above is meant to motivate you to accept the Holy Spirit’s perception over the ego’s perception.

For the Holy Spirit uses time in His Own way, and is not bound by it. Time is His friend in teaching. It does not waste Him, as it does you. (T-15.I.2)


The Holy Spirit knows that you perceive yourself in time and that you need a narrative for your life in time. Give your life to the Holy Spirit and your past, present and future will be filled with a deep sense of purpose. What you held on to in your past will fall away except as it is helpful to explain the new story for your life. And the future becomes an extension of the certainty of purpose you have now. What I was experiencing when I knew that A Course in Miracles was why I was in the world was my acceptance of the Holy Spirit’s purpose. Before then, my purpose was the ego’s purpose – to maintain and defend, unto seeming death, an identity separate from God. All this seems to have happened in the past, but really it is the same instant now.

What I have done and will do in the world is not important. It is simply a passing story as I live this instant. What is important is the answer to this question: This instant am I using the world as a means to connect with the Holy Spirit or as a means to live separate from God? That question is what we are all answering every instant.


>>>>
At
www.acimmentor.com find information on one-on-one mentoring, a free weekly telephone study group, study and practice aids, and answers-by-topic from this blog.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ask: What is meant by "extend Love"?

If the World Isn't Real, Why Ask For Guidance?

More on Emotional Satisfaction or Freedom