Technique: Come Into the Room

Back in the day my thing was not dwelling on the past. It was living in the future. Some of this was goals and plans. But most of it was just fantasy, even fantasizing about one day being at peace. But either way it was not being here, now, the only time in which it is possible to be at peace.

The personal thought system is always about the past or future or just elsewhere. The “elsewhere” thinking can be dwelling on something that is not in front of you, like a completely made up time, place, or story; or something going on in the world or someone else’s life. This was common for me, too. So when I found I was in the future or elsewhere and I wanted to be present I’d bring myself back into the room. I’d remind myself that this is where I am now. All I have to do is deal with what is right in front of me right now. And any lessons I have to learn are right here.

To do this I’d say to myself, “Come into the room” and then I’d make a point of looking at what was in the room with me. It did not matter where I was, at home or in public. If I was outside I’d say, “Come here, now” and I’d look at those things nearest me. This would ground me in the present. I’d remind myself that this is where I am. I am not with myself when my mind is in another time or place. And if I am not with myself I am not with the Awareness of Truth (Holy Spirit) or peace.

Sometimes students tell me that they can’t stop dwelling on the plight of others in the world. So I share with them this technique. Be with what is right in front of you. This is where you are. You cannot live anyone else’s life. You cannot solve problems that are not in front of you. If you are to act in some way to help someone else, near you or a world away, you will know in the present what actions to take.

Other students are concerned with lessons they’ve read or heard of but that they have not yet learned for themselves. I tell them to forget what they do not yet know or do not yet understand. The way you get to more advanced lessons is to learn the lessons in front of you now. What are you going through in your life now? What is there to learn? Just as in school, what you learn now prepares you for what you will learn later.


What I learned from this was how much of my experience, my “life”, was a fantasy of ideas. I saw how my “world” was a world of thoughts. There is a lot that can go on in my mind. But there is very little actually going on right in front of me. How much simpler and more peaceful it is to live with only what is right in front of me!

>>>>>
Want support on the path to peace? read "You Don't Have to Go It Alone".
Learn about one-on-one mentoring, how to send a donation for this blog, and about the books The ACIM Mentor Articles, The Plain Language A Course in Miracles, 4 Habits for Inner Peace, and Releasing Guilt for Inner Peace at www.acimmentor.com.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I love the simplicity of this and the outside "command" made me chuckle. That is exactly what I have to say to my pup Sully on our morning walks. Come here, now! Love it! Deb
will said…
Another good blog to go along with "You Don't Have to go it Alone" is "The Simplicity of One Goal." June 24, 2006
Now, now!
Unknown said…
Just after reading this I returned to your 4 Habits book and read:"Not-Truth emphasizes the past and the future because they are never here. Truth emphasizes the present because It is always here. Only at this moment can you turn inward to Truth and experience peace."
Love all your work, Liz!!
will said…
I was just watching a video on YouTube that I thought I would pass on. It's called:

"Down to the River to Pray"
It's a song by Alison Krauss
You can recognize it by an old picture of women standing in a stream. Check it out!
will said…
It's a different world out there. Such intense faith and fellowship. People really living their faith.
will said…
Liz

I say "Come into the room" and look at what is in the room with me. This grounds me in the present. Then I can step back and see I am an object in the room, the same as everything I am looking at. Myself is no longer separate but a part of the room. That is when I can be aware of what is looking at the room.
will said…
I think your blog goes way deep. Certainly more than what I first read. I'm just not sure where way deep goes.
will said…
I'll try to resist the temptation to delete what I wrote. When I had gone back to read the blog what it seemed to be was the start of the process that leads to our awareness that "myself" doesn't exist. That each of us doesn't exist.
ACIM Mentor said…
Will, you are demonstrating what I say about people reading their own stuff into what I write. All I was sharing was a simple technique to get your head out of the clouds. A way to become present when your mind has been elsewhere. It was a very superficial practice for me. It's interesting that you are getting so much more out of it.
will said…
I had been watching video's by a mystic called Rupert Spirea yesterday and his thoughts were on my mind when I re-read the blog. I didn't mean to infer you were saying anything. Just putting pieces together, his and yours.
will said…
Rupert Spira-misspelled.
ACIM Mentor said…
I wasn't inferring anything, either, Will. I was amused.
Christine said…
Don't delete, Will! You never know we might get something out of what you write! Like reading your comments...
will said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
will said…
I had to delete. It was stupid of me to try and cherry pick what this man was saying or meant. Presumptuous.
will said…
Thank you Christine. There may be something to learn from my deleting. Who knows.
Anonymous said…
I found writing in a journal helped process or just blow out the thoughts of the mind and then further discern Truth from not-Truth.

When I deleted a comment or spent time to "make perfect" it pointed to fear of judgment from others which was my own self judgment.

Popular posts from this blog

Ask: What is meant by "extend Love"?

If the World Isn't Real, Why Ask For Guidance?

More on Emotional Satisfaction or Freedom