Experiencing God over Understanding Theology

06/01/01

Experiencing what the Course teaches is more important than grasping its theology.

When I was first a student of the Course (1984), I initially experienced dramatic shifts in perception. But then I spent years and years trying to understand the theology of the Course. Those were dry years. Though I didn’t realize exactly what I was doing, I was intellectualizing my spirituality instead of practicing it. Of course the shifts in perception stopped because Spirit cannot be understood unless It is first experienced.

Save yourself time and learn from my mistake. Do not waste time trying to understand, but rather open yourself to your Holy Spirit, welcome shifts in perception and then understanding will come to you.

www.acimmentor.com

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi Liz. Thank you for your blog site. I especially enjoy how you post quotes from the Course and then discuss your learning.

It wasn't until I bought the Course and started the lessons that I finally started letting go of "intellectualizing" everything I read about or heard from another person. It is a wonderful experience to leave the head (the ego) and dwell in the Spirit. May I suggest that I cannot learn from your mistake. But I am certainly learning from your blogs! Bless you.
carrie genevachild said…
"Spirit cannot be understood unless It is first experienced."

I can testify to the truth of that statement. I experienced Spirit in the summer of 1967.

Popular posts from this blog

Ask: What is meant by "extend Love"?

If the World Isn't Real, Why Ask For Guidance?

More on Emotional Satisfaction or Freedom