Your Purpose

Awake and remember your purpose, for it is your will to do so. (T-12.II.6)

Not long ago someone asked me if there was anything I did that I felt was my purpose in life. I said yes, when I was meditating and made the connection to God – then I felt I was fulfilling my purpose. This surprised her. In this world, one’s “purpose” tends to be expressed as a vocation or a profession. We think we are fulfilling our purpose when our “personalities” and our work intersect. We say, “I feel I was meant to….” (Become a doctor, work with children, go to the moon, etc.).

Yet the Course tells us we all have the same purpose and it is not of this world. It is to overcome the belief that this world is Truth.

Your purpose is to see the world through your own holiness. (W-37.1)

Forgiveness removes only the untrue, lifting the shadows from the world and carrying it, safe and sure within its gentleness, to the bright world of new and clean perception. There is your purpose now. (T-18.IX.14)

Salvation cannot be withheld from you. It is your purpose. (T-19.IV.A.4)

The overlooking of the battleground is now your purpose. (T-23.IV.4)

www.acimmentor.com

Comments

Carrie Genevachild said…
Allowing my mind to be changed by the Holy Spirit is my purpose. Knowing my purpose is deeply satisfying.
Anonymous said…
Hi Liz,
I'm at the point where I am bumping up against knowing that there is nothing in this world that can fulfill me but I'm confused now because I look to God and can't see anything that I need to 'do' and I'm feeling angry, frustrated, irritable, sad and unfulfilled. I feel like I have no direction here in this world and I can't see beyond it so therefore I feel stuck between the World and God and I don't know what to do. Could you give me some idea of what is happening to me and what to do? Thanks in advance.
ACIM Mentor said…
Anonymous, was this article not about having a purpose? You are in an ego pout, one of the first things to happen to new students of ACIM. Your old way of looking at things and your old values have fallen away. But you have not yet taken up your new purpose. So you are in limbo. This will pass when you are ready to assume your new purpose. You will have plenty to "do"!

I know it's uncomfortable but the good news is that your feeling this way means a shift has occurred.

Popular posts from this blog

Ask: What is meant by "extend Love"?

If the World Isn't Real, Why Ask For Guidance?

More on Emotional Satisfaction or Freedom